With the swings in temperature we experience this time of year, hot one day, cold the next, this is the perfect “transition to Fall” meal! This is one of those rare trifecta recipes – super easy, tastes gourmet, and fairly inexpensive. We usually have most of these ingredients on hand, so we keep it in regular rotation.
The potatoes, rosemary and mushrooms in this one-pot meal are so hearty, perfect for fall, but that dash of lemon on everything is so refreshing. I would have never imagined a hint of lemon on potatoes and mushrooms, but it’s fabulous!
To add to the recipe instructions below, once you have doused your chicken thighs in the lemon rosemary mixture, I pour the rest into the pot. When you finish searing the chicken and have added all ingredients to the pot, I tilt the pot sideways on the stovetop and with a turkey baster, I keep taking liquid from the bottom of the pan and drenching it over everything a few times before popping it into the oven to bake. It’s just so dang good. One of my favorite recipes of all time!
Skillet Lemon & Rosemary Chicken
- 2 pounds red potatoes small red-skinned potatoes halved, quartered if large
- Kosher salt
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary plus 1 tablespoon leaves
- 2 clove garlic smashed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 skin-on bone in chicken breasts or thighs
- 24 ounces cremini mushrooms halved
- Preheat the oven to 450. Cover the potatoes with cold water in a saucepan and salt the water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender, about 8 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Pile the rosemary leaves, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt and the red pepper flakes on a cutting board, then mince and mash into a paste using a large knife. Transfer the paste to a bowl. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon and the olive oil. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, cover and cook until the skin browns, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken; add the mushrooms and potatoes to the skillet and drizzle with the juice of the remaining lemon.
- Add the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves to the skillet; transfer to the oven and roast, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.